Thursday, May 17, 2012

What Band or Musician Is Most Important to Me

Hmmm....another hard question. If it's important than they have to connect with me in something personal. And it supposed to have real impact in my life, right?

The problem is, either I have none or too many.
Because there are musics that the first time I heard them I have this tingling feeling, and it hypnotize me
There are musics that I just listen then one day I realize what they mean and it felt so mind blowing
There are music with such great energy (live or recorded) they drawn me
Then there are music with interesting visual it made me curious
Each and everyone of them have impact on me, at least on my curiosity. Because usually, in my journey to satisfy my curiosity I learn something new that have impact on me. Lots of them lead the way to informations that open my mind, change my mind, even change my habit. But that's not something grand, it's just the way people learn, right? It's not the only factor, so it kinda hard to say which one is the most important, no?

Hmm...let me think for a while.

Ah, after writing this I think I can make it shorter. I'm basically curious, and since music is one of my main interest and I learn so much in my satisfying curiosity journey, so IT IS part of the important-ee (important aspect commitee ;p). So now, in this commitee, under the music departement, which one is the most important in the term having the biggest impact in my life? IS THAT IT? IT IS, RIGHT? 
(Am I stupid or writing is generally good to organize one's mind?)

By biggest impact I'll take it here as something that change me. And my biggest change happened in junior high school. I used to have soooooo much anger (puberty and homestay-in-a-stranger's-family mixture made a problem become a tenfold hair-grabbing-drama) so I learn how to toned down the anger and control my emotion  (Oh wow, you should see my brain. It's like there's a big list then lot of it just dropped) If you think now I still have that problems then you'll probably hate the junior-high-school me. Err...

So the answer is probably Eminem, Spice Girls, and Britney

Eminem back then just came out with his Marshall Mathers LP. I buy the cassette because I like Dido's voice in Stan. And the way the lyrics rhyme but not in a poetic way but in badass-in-your-face way, really fascinate me. So I started paying attention to the lyrics. Curious me wants more but back then there's no internet and TV is limited so when I see his The Slim Shady LP I bought it.
This record, change me.
umm...maybe I should say: it was one of the hands that lead me to the door of change.

It was filled with so much rage, try to listen to it. If you don't have that kind of rage, you'll be disgusted by the lyrics. But that time, I have that kind of rage. Although with a very very different matters and mine is not that serious (a normal junior high school student here, how serious can it be, really?). I feel like I understand the rage, the hate, the emotion felt in his songs and it felt like he vent MY anger. So it's his song, his problem, but the curse, hate, hurt and pain goes to his problems AND mine. That kinda feeling?

So everytime I'm angry and need to vent, I listen to Eminem. He channel my anger out of me and into something I can 'see'. It's like watching Eminem flip out and thrashing at MY 'enemies'. Sooo FUN and satisfying :D. But also, the most important thing, it was one of my first(s) significant experience when I was introduced to the third person perspective. That made me look at my problems from the third person perspective. This position is really good because it made me calm and objective, and made me go through a lot of thinking process. And for this situation, in the end this position made me try to lash my anger in the right way.

This, is the first step on my wonderful never ending journey to have an open mind (still on it by now).

Spice Girls is popular in my elementary school days and it was a good days. And Britney is popular in my junior high school day. Both are pop-cheery-happy-trendy kind of music so I guess it acted as painkillers in my full-of-anger junior high school days. It doesn't heal anything or offer good advices but it give me a place to run away and be in denial for a while, because they colored the happy days and listen to them accessed the memories ;)
that's also why until now i'm still fond of Spice Girls (that's part of the reason why I always root for Victoria Beckham) but I don't have that fondness for Britney, wonder why?

finallleehhh day 6 done! ergh that's tiring...

No comments: